Emergency lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gary67
Apprentice
Apprentice

Emergency lights

by Gary67 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:05 pm

Hello folks.

What is the score with certification of emergency lighting now? I've just fitted 3 non-maintained emergency lights in a small shop refurb. Nothing special- just one by the entrance door, one in the main area and one in the W/C
Fed from the lighting circuit via a test switch.

This I've done to the architects specification. The building inspector is now asking for the certification for this.

I've done all the normal 7671 certs for the circuit, but after researching this a bit more. I've realised that I may need to take lux readings (with a meter that complies with BS5266-god knows how much that is going to cost) and that I should only being installing this type of equipment if I'm an approved/authorised installer!! ( I haven't read BS5266, so I don't know whether I'm correct with that one)

I've only just got back into the trade after 8 years away. But, after a few months of brain-aching school work. I'm now 17th edition, 2391, part P and maybe a little bit confused with everything else that has changed over the past few years. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers Gary

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:31 pm

Hi Gary I install lots of emergency lighting and requirements do seem to vary, my standard answer is to fill in the test certs. that come with each fitting to prove operational requirements tested ie 3hr test, and if working to architects spec. refer building inspector to him!
There are many books on the subject and they don't always agree, the one I refer to is a freebie from 'The Carbon Trust' called "Installers Guide to Emergency Lighting" [lighting guide 008]
tel.0800 58 57 94 action energy a program run by DEFRA.
This book gives spacings, /mounting heights for a standard 8W fitting and states if followed "removes the necessity for any further calcs."!
I do use a light/sound/temp/humidity multi-tester which cost around £80 as I also do fit fire alarms and heaitng control systems, it is nice to be able to show doubters the facts!
regards SPARX

Gary67
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Gary67 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:12 pm

Thanks Sparx for your quick reply. I'll get the guide and follow your advice.

Good to know there is some help such as yourself out there.

Thanks again mate.

Gary

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:29 am