Erecting driveway gate post
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DIY-mikey
Apprentice
Apprentice

Erecting driveway gate post

by DIY-mikey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:58 am

I am erecting a gate for our driveway which will be a typical 5-bar softwood gate about 12 foot wide by 4 foot high, and propose using an 8 inch (200mm) square wooden post to hang the gate.

1. How deep does the post need to go into the ground? I understand it should be about 1 metre into the ground?

2. To dig down this depth, what tools would I do this with? Presumably a spade will not be adequate?

3. How wide should the hole be to concrete the post in the ground?

4. How long should the concrete be left to set for before I hand the gate?

5. What else do I need to know?

avs
Labourer
Labourer

by avs » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:32 am

Your best bet is to concrete the gate post although it depends on if you have a concrete driveway? This will also impact which tools you should use.

The standard depth for installing fence posts and gate posts is a depth of 760mm (2'6") is recommended for a 6' high fence post, with 600mm (2') as a minimum, so this should be adequate for a 4' fence. Use either postfix or a mixture of ballast and cement to fix the gate post into the ground.

RobD
Labourer
Labourer

by RobD » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:44 am

Hi Mikey.

I've usually used a sledge hammer and pick to get through concrete and tarmac, then a spade for the rest. When you get obstructions a lump hammer and chisel or a crowbar can work when you're deep down and have no room to move. It's not very hi-tech but for one hole it'll do the trick! For concrete, Wickes do a good ready mix sack with the cement in a little seperate bag http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=15 ... nvt/220189

Regards
Rob

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:46 am