Estimate cost to fix leak at boiler?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

McKendrigo
Labourer
Labourer

Estimate cost to fix leak at boiler?

by McKendrigo » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:20 pm

Hello,

I recently moved in to a new home. One of the first issues I noticed was lots of air trapped in radiators, and low pressure in the central heating system (<0.8 bar) as the trapped air couldn't be bled out as the system didn't have enough water pressure to force out.

I put the issue down to the boiler being in a hard to reach place and the previous owners being quite elderly and immobile, and thought that this problem had built up slowly over time as a result. However, it seems that the pressure is dropping because of a leak at the boiler.

After refilling the CH system to between 1 and 1.5 bar, it has gradually dropped again. Inspecting the boiler I spotted a small drip and some corrosion on the pipework near where the cold water supply is connected, which is presumably the source of the pressure dropping.

I'm wondering if anyone would be able to hazard a guess at the cost of repairing this leak? It's an old boiler (~2005?) so likely to be better to replace if the cost would be quite high.

Photo of the leak is attached. Boiler is a Worcester Bosch 35CDi II.

Thanks!
Attachments
DSC_00052.JPG