Existing loft room classification in bungalow
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dave Hope
Labourer
Labourer

Existing loft room classification in bungalow

by Dave Hope » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:28 pm

Hi,

Just after some opinions. Bought a bungalow a few years ago with an existing "attic storage room",
not advertised as a bedroom. The previous owner was elderly and passed away so not around to ask questions about the room unfortunately. It was clearly part of the original build with 6 inch joists and dormer window but had a loft ladder instead of stairs which is what makes it a bit confusing (there's definitely no room for a proper staircase to have once been). I've just carpeted it, skimmed over the existing plasterboard, painted and replaced the ladder, but now have this large room which I'm not sure what I'm allowed to use for (although I'm currently using as an office while wfh).

If the room was part of the original build, do I not need to worry about building regs and can class as a livable space/bedroom? Should I contact building control and ask them or am I opening up a can of worms?!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Existing loft room classification in bungalow

by stoneyboy » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:09 pm

Hi davehope,
Suggest you search on your local authorities planning web site and see if there are plans for the bungalow. You may then be able to establish whether the attic room was described as living space.
You could also look at the building regulations section and see if this sheds any light on the question.
Regards S

Dave Hope
Labourer
Labourer

by Dave Hope » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:04 am

Thanks Stoneyboy. I did ask the council a couple of years ago and unfortunately they don't keep records that far back so I can't get the original plans. I've checked through all the original deeds and everything obtained when I bought the bungalow but it's all about the land and nothing about the property. I'm afraid to approach building control in case they turn around and say it doesn't meet regs and I have to rip it out and start again (not likely they'd do that but don't want to risk it!). It's a bit of a headache. Can't see them building the property the way they did if the attic was never intended to be used as a room - it's massive and got the head height and dormer... but then again they didn't accommodate a staircase [shrug]

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:08 am

Hi davehope,
I agree that contacting the Council may open a bag of worms. Is there space for a mini lift which would make the loft space more practical?
Regards S

Dave Hope
Labourer
Labourer

by Dave Hope » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:31 pm

It's got a ladder so the space is perfectly usable as it is, just not up to current regs. It's proving it was part of the original build and met the regs at the time (1956) is what I'm hoping to establish so that I can class it as a bedroom.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:24 am

Hi davehope,
Have a look at the rateable value of your bungalow and see if it specifies number of bedrooms. If it counts in the attic room you could go back in time to see if it changed.
Regards S

Dave Hope
Labourer
Labourer

by Dave Hope » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:52 pm

Thanks stoneyboy. It's classed as 3 beds at the moment so not counting the attic (unless they classed one of the bedrooms as a sitting room)! Not sure how to check the previous rate?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:40 pm

Hi davehope,
Check your council tax bill for the issuing authority, contact them and ask if they keep historical records and whether you can view them.
Regards S

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:25 pm