Extensive Black Spot Mould
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Cpow
Labourer
Labourer

Extensive Black Spot Mould

by Cpow » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi

My Victorian house has extensive damp problems and black spot mould growth - particularly in an upper storey bedroom which is part of an extension to the house, which was constructed many years ago.

A recent valuation survey for a remortgage highlighted that the upper storey of the extension is single brick construction and recommended that rectifying this would help to eliminate the dampness. The surveryor also raised the issue of mortgage companies not lending on single skin constuctions and whilst I did not have any problems with my lender I am concerned about selling.

Also, the render on the extension is very badly done with visable cracks and so I am concerned that the problems are caused by penetrating damp from this, which would be helped but not eliminated by building an inner stud skin or dry lining.

Two questions -
Is there any point in addressing the single-brick problem if the render is not addressed?
What is the best way to rectify the single brick work?

Any advice appreciated!

Capital Spread
Labourer
Labourer

by Capital Spread » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Hi
In answer to your first question you are going to have to replace the render one day so why not get the two jobs (dry linning and rendering)done at the same time.

Best way to dry line a single brick wall
50mm metal stud fixed to the ceiling and floor joists with insulation between the studs, vapour barrier, plasterboard and skim plaster

Capital spread

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:08 pm