Exterior plastering
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dvp
Labourer
Labourer

Exterior plastering

by dvp » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:29 pm

We've recently had a new bay made and fitted, with new wooden sash windows. The old one was causing problems with damp. I primed and painted the wooden windows, but due to the winter weather i was wondering what to do about painting the new exterior plaster in the bay. How long does plaster take to fully dry in the winter? Is it safe to put a primer solution and paint it, or should i wait till spring, i just dont know what to do?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:28 pm

definitely wait til spring. you can't paint outside in the temperatures that we are currently experiencing, the paint will freeze and never dry. you will then be faced with the task of cleaning off wet paint and starting again - not a nice job!

aside, it is recommended that new cement render and plaster be left at least a month before any kind of finish is applied.

dvp
Labourer
Labourer

by dvp » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:49 am

Thanks so much for the advice, no painting till the spring then! One problem is that i will have bare render/plaster exposed to the elements. Wont the plaster deteriorate in the weather, especially exposed to rain? Is it best to cover the bay in plastic sheeting till spring, or leave it open to the elements to eventually dry off in the spring?

dvp
Labourer
Labourer

by dvp » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:54 am

I had to prime (twice) and paint the wooden sash window frames in the cold, as i was afraid of the exposed bare wood being open to the elements. Do you think i will have a problem with gloss paint i used to coat, will i have problems where it wont have dried as well and may split or crack by the summer?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:41 pm

you may have probs, you may not - just have to suck it and see. solvent based paints may fare a little better. if it blisters and peels, what's the worswt? strip it and start again. hassle but no real drama.

i wouldn't worry too much about leaving the render exposed til spring, it will survive and much longer past, as will the wood. even softwood will accept a certain amount of weathering but you are right to want to protect it.

but it should be fine until spring.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:44 pm