Exterior Render Over Blockwork
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pooter101
Labourer
Labourer

Exterior Render Over Blockwork

Post by pooter101 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:07 pm

Hi, am new to the forum and hope someone out there may be able to give some advice please. Have just removed a rotten wooden door and small window from the back of my detached garage and bricked up cavity using blocks. Rest of the wall around this is rendered in rough finish and painted so we want to try and match in as best as possible but not expecting a 'craftsmans finish'!. Can anyone advise me the correct way to render please and if its OK to render over these types of blocks? Am a bit concerned about moisture entering thru these blocks as I've read something about that elsewhere this evening. Should I use a waterproofer - it is not a very large area (average sized door and only a small window). Should I use two coats of render, allowing first to dry? Any advice will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for your time!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:56 pm

pooter101,
Apply two coats of render but wet the blocks well before applying the base coat. Score the base coat to give a good key and let it set (but not dry out) before applying the top coat.
end

pooter101
Labourer
Labourer

Post by pooter101 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:15 am

Many thanks for your help Stoneyboy - appreciate you taking the time to reply! Will follow your advice and thanks again!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm