External Concrete Plinth but Should I Remove?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
HandSlander
Apprentice
Apprentice

External Concrete Plinth but Should I Remove?

Post by HandSlander » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:56 pm

Moved into this c. 1900 Victorian Terrace a few years ago, and although I haven’t had damp problems per se, I’ve had major humidity issues with certain rooms constantly well over 70% humidity even after thorough ventilation.

The property is an end of Terrace, and all external walls have a c. 150mm heigh render as pictured with spaced air bricks. Reviewing my legal pack from purchase, it appears that “damp proofing” was done in 2010 by Kenwood plc, consisting installation of 4x air bricks, full length “vertical damp proof course” and in the case of what is now the most humid room, “tanked” walls on the full length (of that room only).

I’ll attach photos in my next post, but the question is, should I remove this concrete render from the brickwork? I’m not sure if a Victorian (slate?) DPC exists in the brickwork underneath. I don’t want to worse things but this humidity issue needs to be resolved, I’m sick of running a dehumidifier 24/7!

Thanks

HandSlander
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: External Concrete Plinth but Should I Remove?

Post by HandSlander » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:48 pm

Here is the photo (delayed pending mod approval of my above post). Tried to post in line but too big. The surface dampness in the image is due to hose only, all surfaces are touch dry.

https://i.imgur.com/qDwg6k9.jpg

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:12 am