Extra outside light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
robejn713
Labourer
Labourer

Extra outside light

by robejn713 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:16 pm

I have one outside security light to the side of the house and have placed an additional one to the rear. I have looped the light from the existing one as I want it to work from a different switch.
Everything is wired up and I can't get the new one to work. I have checked the wiring four times to make sure it is correct but it ain't coming on. In the existing light, I have placed a new red into the loop of existing reds, a new black into the neutral terminal and earth to earth. In the new light, I have the black from the old into the neutral terminal, earth to earth, red from loop to a terminal block with another red leading to the switch and the black from the switch into the switched live terminal. The new bulb also looks fine. I'm a bit stumped!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:44 pm

maybe this is one reason why it is ILLEGAL to do outside wiring yourself!!!!
see DOC's project 'part p ' work

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:14 am

Sparx

Imagine it's all inside then. What would the answer be?

Actually it's not ILLEGAL to do outside wiring yourself. That's misleading. You can do it yourself but because it's notifiable under Part P of the Building Regs you have to get an Inspector along from t'Council (albeit at vast expense and loss of life) to check it out and if approved issue the appropriate certification.

Cheers

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:07 pm

Ok Rosebery not illegal but not justifiable at expence so might as well be! oh! & they Don't give any certs at the end so still got to get tested by 3rd party who can't issue comp. cert. only full Periodic so even more expensive.
It doesn't matter if all wiring is indoors the fitting is not so would have to be connected Outdoors making it 'Peeable',
regards SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:11 pm