Far too Many Lighting Connections at the Ceiling Rose
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NigelSpink
Apprentice
Apprentice

Far too Many Lighting Connections at the Ceiling Rose

by NigelSpink » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:41 pm

Hello

the first ceiling rose in my house has 6 x 1.5mm twin and earth cables going into it. See pic. And it is way too busy for a single ceiling rose.

I've now re-made all the connections using wago connectors (pic to follow) and I am no aiming to get them protected, into a box and into the ceiling cavity ( I can access these connections from above by lifting floorboards), then spuring off these wago connection to the ceiling rose below.

I've tried getting these wago connectors in a proper wago juction box but there are too many and are at different lengths, so that's not possible.

Is there any reason why I can't place all the wago connectors loose in something like this...

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electri ... Q12/p65413

...and fix this in the ceiling void? Or are these boxes especially designed for terminal strips? Will post pictures of the wago connections later but if anyone has any better ideas how to deal with this scenario please let me know!

many thanks in advance.
Attachments
lights.jpg

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Far too Many Lighting Connections at the Ceiling Rose

by ericmark » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:20 pm

Yes you could use that box.

The Hager Ashley Round Surface Box 30mm White is what I used where I wanted to connect wires before the ceiling rose, the CEF Part Code: MB2
Stock Code: 0010-4839 used in the main with the Hager Klik 6A Pre Wired Plug In Ceiling Rose because these need a backing box, the Lewden Maestro Plug-In Ceiling Rose does not need the back box but are more expensive.

I find wiring a ceiling rose on tip toes while holding the weight of the lamp is never easy, so the idea of wiring up everything on the floor then picking it up pre-wired and sliding it into place much easier. Also you have with the Lewden a proper hook which looks far better.

I started using the Klik with office fluorescent lights as one could unplug and work on a single light while other lights in the room were still working. The hole spacing is the same as a conduit box, but mounting a conduit box was not easy. The round surface box is not so easy to find in stock, so started to keep my own stock, and then found it was an easy method to join wires which is classed as assessable.

NigelSpink
Apprentice
Apprentice

by NigelSpink » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:01 am

Here's a pic of the wago connections...
Attachments
wago1.jpg
wago2.jpg

NigelSpink
Apprentice
Apprentice

by NigelSpink » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:00 pm

Thanks for the reply Eric. Good suggestions but I don't think that set up will work in my case because I'm thinking of either a traditional vintage style ceiling rose, with a long flex to meet the light, or a 'regular' rose or with a different colour cover. e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-Brass-C ... 3hfdEM049Q

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Plastic ... 1843824418

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:18 am

The Lewden Maestro Plug-In Ceiling Rose would seem to be the right option. I converted a bedroom into a living room for my wife and I so we could live with my mother.

My wife wanted a heavy lamp shade with a chain and what to my mind seemed a silly pole, it looked to be frank as if some one had hung the lamp from a stick out of the ceiling. It was also too low upstairs.

I was not happy with the price of the Lewden Maestro Plug-In Ceiling Rose, seem to remember around £24, but I was able to remove the silly pole and so get the whole thing higher, and pre-wire the whole lot.

It now looks as if the whole system was designed that way from start, and with nothing hanging from ceiling rose while I fitted it, there was no problem wiring it up.

I think we have all at some time shoved wiring into the ceiling space. I would say it's not really a good idea as some one accessing from above could touch live wires, the simple method is the junction box designed for GU10 lighting.

[img]https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/ASJ501X.JPG[/img]

I hope the picture works the link is here http://www.hager.co.uk/product-catalogu ... urce=print not had much look with pictures and links on this forum. Because it takes time to be passed by sysop if you make an error you don't know.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:40 am