Faulty pull switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

Faulty pull switch

Post by Mitch » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:24 am

Hi all,

The pull switch in the bathroom seems to have acquired a mind of its own. First pull the lights flicker miserably, second they go off and the third time they come on fine. Fourth pull switches them off.

Just a guess but could it be a 2 way switch which has a fault on one side?

There is a 2nd short length of live wire connecting 2 of the terminals, is this how you convert a 2w switch to 1w?

cheers
Mitch

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:54 pm

Two way switches either have a single three core and earth cable or one three core and one two core cable. Normally wired as shown here http://www.ericpalmer.fsnet.co.uk/Lighting.html there are two diagrams.
Also loads in projects section.
Eric

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

Post by TOPSPARK » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:05 pm

Why not go and buy a new pull switch and then turn off electric supply and change the switch as shown in the diagram that comes with it and then try it and all should be fine. Before this open up existing pull switch and see if there are any loose connections and if there are then tighten them up turn power back on and try the pull switch. and go from there
regards
Topspark

Mitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mitch » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:16 pm

Thanks for the reply,

What I meant to say was that I think a 2w switch has been used where a 1w switch was required, I've come across a few cases where there is what I might call a patch wire across terminals which were obviously not there when the switch was bought.

Is it common practice to convert a 2w to a 1w switch in this way?

My orginal question was to do with the symptoms I am seeing being related to a 2w switch being faulty, therefore should I simply replace the switch with a 1w pull switch from Screwfix for £2.99 or do I have a bigger problem?

cheers
Mitch

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:58 am

The symptoms you relate makes me think switch is just worn out. No links are required to convert two way switch to on/off where multi switches are used then some times the live is linked so two way switching can be done with just twin and earth rather than using three core. This practice has been causing a lot of problems as the 17th Edition came in as can mean two separate live circuits are used and with one it will show up as borrowed neutral and trip earth leakage trips which are now used on lights.
Since pull switches are one gang you are unlikely to have a problem.
Eric

Mitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mitch » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:11 am

Thanks guys,

Just bought a new switch and fitted it, no problem now!

I was confused because the switch was def 2 way and B&Q sell 2 way as well as 1 way pull switches, made sure I got a 1 way.

cheers
Mitch

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:06 am