FENSA Registered instaler for a Porch ?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jkypre
Labourer
Labourer

FENSA Registered instaler for a Porch ?

by jkypre » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:58 pm

I am in the process of building a porch at the front of my property. Do I need to have a FENSA registered instaler to fit a double glazed window and front door or can I fit them myself ?

bco
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bco » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:16 pm

Hi

The answer here depends on the extent of your porch! It would need to be exempt under scedule II of the Building Reg's for you to be able to install. To be exempt it would need to meet the following criteria;
- Be under 30m2 in floor area.
- All glazing must be saferty glass to BS6206, ie. toughened or laminated.
- The porch must be thermally seperated from the dwelling ie. an external front door is to remain and this is not an extension to the hall!

However just because the structure would be exept under the Building Reg's the electrics (if any) will not be! best an easiest way to comply here is to use a registered domestic installer on an appropriate competent person scheme. ie. NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT etc.

With regard to the front door, a door only needs to fitted by a FENSA install or an application requiree to Building Control if the area of glazing in this door exceeds 50% of the total door panel, if its less then you can just do it without invovilng FENSA or the Council

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 am