Fibreglass Crack Leak Around Bay Window?
Information, help and advice on maintaining, installing and repairing a flat roof. Post your questions and view answers here

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
noworries182
Labourer
Labourer

Fibreglass Crack Leak Around Bay Window?

by noworries182 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:05 pm

For the past 2 months there has been water leaking into the corner of my front bay window through a bracket installed for blinds, the bay window is covered by a pre-made fibre glass flat roof. The slow dripping gets worse when it rains then slows down and eventually stops about 2 days after it stops raining.

I have had 2 roofers look at the roof and only one mentioned the crack but didn’t seem to think it was the source of the leak. They have suggested the flashing but that has been sealed but the roof is still leaking.

QUESTION: Do you think the crack shown is large/major enough for water to penetrate the fibre glass and drip down into my bay window?

I poured around 3 litres of water onto the crack today to see if I could get it to leak but so far nothing. But I’m not sure how much water it may need. The roof was installed factory made I believe by Barratts in 2016. There is no pooling and water runs off it fine.
Attachments
Roof_top.jpg
Crack.jpg
Left_side_leak_3 1.jpg
Front bay win.JPG

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fibreglass Crack Leak Around Bay Window?

by stoneyboy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:41 pm

Hi noworries182,
Since you only get water ingress when it rains this would indicate the roof or joint has failed. Why it only comes through the screw is a mystery but you do not say whether the crack is above the screw.
Since your house was built in 2016 you should still be covered by the NHBC 10 year guarantee - try this first.
Regards S

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:24 am

Hi noworries182,
It is not clear from your pictures but there is no gutter.
Is it possible that water from the edge of the roof is running back from the roof edge?
Is there an internal gutter and the screw fixing the bracket has been screwed through it?
Regards,
S

noworries182
Labourer
Labourer

by noworries182 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:51 pm

Firstly, thank you for your reply. the crack is about 2ft away from blinds bracket towards the centre of the roof and there is no gutter but water does not pool and runs off the roof fine.

Since posting I have had a third roofer out who suggested taking the fibreglass roof off as it is a premade roof that is delivered and installed (Bolted to house) BUT they also won’t answer my emails and provide a quote like the last 2 roofers.

One roofer suggested there was an issue with the cavity trays, but that’s a bad job and the weep holes are all clear.

Issue with NHBC is that the minimum claim is £1750. BUT Barratts Have agreed to come and look at it as I said regardless of whether the leak is caused by the crack, the fibreglass roof should have a warranty and shouldn’t have cracked after 4 years.

Iv taped up the crack and sealed around some failing sea lent around a window above the roof as someone suggested it could be coming in through there but then the cavity trays should catch that.

I’m waiting for it to rain to see if anything is better. I don’t think Iv ever waited for more than 2hrs for it to rain in wales and Iv been waiting 2 weeks now.

Also, I did submit a claim to NHBC but they’re yet to reply.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:27 pm

Hi again,
Thanks for the update, looks like you are now in a waiting game.
The pictures show the leaking screw is on the outside corner of the roof so failure of any component at the house/bay window abutment is probably not related.
Good luck with Barratts don't be put off by b*ll sh*t.
Regards, S

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:18 pm