filling up heating system
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mikeharrison
Apprentice
Apprentice

filling up heating system

Post by mikeharrison » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:03 pm

hi
i've drained my central heating system to replace some rads and when i've filled the tank up in the loft no water is getting into the system. i've opened every bleed valve on the rads and also the two drain points i have on the system and i still can't get water into the system. what i'm i doing wrong

thanks
mike

GeckoGas
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by GeckoGas » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:19 am

How old is the system? Sounds like a blocked cold feed to me.

mikeharrison
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mikeharrison » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:32 pm

hi

it's about 12yrs old where would the cold feed be blocked and how could i unblock it

thanks

GeckoGas
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by GeckoGas » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:26 am

Hi; this will depend on your system type... The cold feed can be found by tracing the outlet of the feed & expansion tank down to where it enters the system - This point is called the "neutral" point or more commonly known as the cold feed although technically this is the entire length of pipe.

The easiest way to check is with a strong magnet - Simply touch the magnet to the copper pipework; if it sticks and provides quite a bit of resistance; the pipe is blocked and will need cutting out and replacing.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1