DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Fillinga Vent in a Wall in 1978 End of Terrace House

Postby _bob » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:32 am

Hi there,

I'm looking for some building advice. In the living room of my 1978 end of terrace on the end wall I have a vent measuring 24cm square. I believe it would have been there when the house had a back boiler installed originally. The house has cavity walls and I had cavity wall insulation installed when I first moved in 2 1/2 years ago, but I think the living room doesn't retain its heat because of this vent.
1. Is it ok to fill in this hole, considering there is no back boiler ?
2. How would I best go about filling it in?

Many Thanks

150208-RH16_Vent Hole Fill_1.jpg

150208-RH16_Vent Hole Fill_2.jpg
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:09 am


Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:51 pm

if you want to fill it in then use bricks and sand and cement, then to plaster it use thistle 1 coat
welsh brickie
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2612
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Postby DIYDoctor2 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:06 pm

Take advice from a heating engineer to be sure that you do not need this ventilation any more.

We agree with WelshBrickie about how to fill it if you decide it is the right thing to do.
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:53 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics