FIRE PLACE
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BOBA
Labourer
Labourer

FIRE PLACE

by BOBA » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:02 am

Hello, This is my 1st time.

Basically I have reopened an old fireplace and want to build it back up for use. I have gutted it out and I went to a builders centre for fire bricks & fire cement.

I was informed I would have to use fire clay which I bought 2 x 25kg bags. I filled the base of the fire yesterday afternoon and pointed the old brick work. Its still not set after 14hrs? Have I missed something?

Also the smoke catcher fell out when I opened up. It is angled. Is the slop at the front or the back.

I look forward to your help.
:oops:
Bob

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:20 pm

BOBA,
The only fireclay I know dries, it does not set. I would have used a mortar with a high proportion of lime in it.
The smoke shelf probably should slope up at the front with a gap at the front.
Don't forget to allow the fireplace to dry for a considerable time and then fire it up gradually.
end

BOBA
Labourer
Labourer

FIRE PLACE

by BOBA » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:07 pm

Thanks for your advice. I added some portland cement which has worked a treat.

I have made the fire place too big as its not kicking out much heat. It seems to be going up rather than out. I am going to put up arow off bricks at the back and bring the nest forward.

If you have any other suggestion I would appreciate them

TY

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:00 pm

BOBA,
From your description it sounds like the flue is too big and all the heat is being sucked up the chimney. If you can find one buy an adjustable throat unit so you can restrict the air going up the chimney.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1