First home and got penetrating dam, help needed!!
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
spils30
Labourer
Labourer

First home and got penetrating dam, help needed!!

by spils30 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:44 pm

damp 1.jpg
damp 1.jpg (6.59 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
Hey,

Thanks for reading - Im a 26 year old female and i bought my first house 2 years ago, i loved it. Now its causing me headaches!!!

A damp spot started developing in my lounge - external walls of my terrece house, it just kept getting worse and then covid hit and i couldn't get anyone to come look at it.

I've since had two people come and look at it and give completely different solutions but both 3k!!

Suggestion one was to hack off all the external plaster, rerender, replace a wall tie, fit a damp proof course, hack of internal plaster and replaster

second was to waterproof spray and coat the external property, hack off inside plaster, inject a damp proof course and then skim plaster, again 3k.

I am clueless as to what to do, i don't want to get mugged off and i also want to get this right the first time around!!

Any advice on what i should think about doing is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Attachments
damp 3.jpg
damp 3.jpg (5.17 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
damp 2.jpg
damp 2.jpg (7.05 KiB) Viewed 1697 times

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: First home and got penetrating dam, help needed!!

by stoneyboy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:58 pm

Hi spils30
Whatever you have done it is unlikely that you will solve this problem in one hit.
It looks like you have solid walls (rather than cavity ones) and that the exterior walls are rendered and painted. If this is the case then check the external rendering for cracks, even hairline ones. If there are some, fill the cracks then paint the wall to seal it. Check to make sure the DPC is above ground level and has not been bridged by the rendering. Get this corrected if it has.
Internally scrape off loose paint and recover using a breathable wall paint - this will be an ongoing process.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:34 am