Fitting Acrylic Shower Pan to Aqualoc Laminate on 18mm floor
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BryanA
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fitting Acrylic Shower Pan to Aqualoc Laminate on 18mm floor

Post by BryanA » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:01 pm

Total renovation of bathroom so effectively starting with empty room. Good solid flooring 18mm T&G boards. Shower base is Acrylic on adjustable legs.

I know there are worries about using laminate in the first place but it is recommended for bathrooms and joints will be glue/sealed.

I am tempted to fit WC Pan, Sink on wooden stand and shower base after laying laminate which I think would make a better job visually.

Bathroom is only 2m x 2.5m.

Advice/comment would be appreciated.

Shower being fitted is B&Q Zone Corner Circular Bespoke Tray 950mm x 950mm.

Many thanks, Bryan

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:14 pm

Right, several points here. Firstly, laminate flooring is a poor choice for a bathroom. Ok, many people want it, and they do a version specifically designed for a wet area, but any wood product will fail if subject to moisture for long periods. If you still want to use laminate, choose one that specifically mentions bathrooms. All laminates will mention splash resistance, but these will fail within weeks if used.

Now, do NOT stand the shower tray on the laminate. Laminate is not fixed, and floats. The shower tray must be totally rigid or the seals will break. Also, acrylic trays are weak (don't like them!!) and unlike stone resin trays, will bend and sag so must be supported solidly.

By all means, fit the basin and toilet on the laminate, it's about the only way that looks good and it saves the problem of trying to cut the shapes.
Of course, the downside is if the laminate needs changing, the toilet has got to come out too, but then it ought to really.

BryanA
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by BryanA » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:32 pm

Many thanks for the reply and advice which I will certainly take. I had a feeling that the laminate under shower may be a problem but thought that I would seek advice from one more knowledgeable than I.

I already have the Acrylic tray so will just have to do my best and hope. I am looking at giving some additional support between the adjustable pillars. Sadly they don't do a stone resin tray so we're stuck.

Again my grateful thanks for your advice.

Bryan

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:00 pm

Trays with legs are at their worst on wooden floors. Make sure the floor where the tray will stand is in tip top condition and fully fixed down to limit movement. IF you build the tray up slightly (you don't mention what you are using for the sides under the tray) you can lip the laminate under the tray slightly to make the finish better.

BryanA
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by BryanA » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:12 pm

[quote="plumbbob"]Trays with legs are at their worst on wooden floors. Make sure the floor where the tray will stand is in tip top condition and fully fixed down to limit movement. IF you build the tray up slightly (you don't mention what you are using for the sides under the tray) you can lip the laminate under the tray slightly to make the finish better.[/quote]

Again, many thanks for the advice. The floor 18mm T&G is in solid condition but has gaps as it has dried out over the years so I will lift the boards where the base is to fit and fit a one piece sheet of 18mm WP plywood. Area involved is in the corner at 950mm x 950mm base size.

I was a joiner for 7 years before changing direction and I plan, using the solid flooring removed to make a cross latice frame adding additional support around and between adjustable pillars - leaving space for waste outlet of course.

The tray is designed to lie on a floor and has the waste outlet already supplied as low profile. 150mm is the base height.

The floor is very slightly out of level and I was going to adjust this by putting shims between joists and plywood before screwing down.

Google "diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9295776&ecamp=trf-005&CAWELAID=266876975"

The base in question is "hopefully" to be seen above.

Thank you for your patience.

Bryan

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:12 pm