Fitting Doors That Aren't Wide Enough for Frame
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sakura_Meg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fitting Doors That Aren't Wide Enough for Frame

Post by Sakura_Meg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice about how to fit a door that isn't as wide as its frame?

The doors I've seen on gumtree are:
75 1/4 x 27 3/4

The frames I have here are:
76 x 29.5
75 3/4 x 30

Is there a way for me to make this work? Maybe adding a piece of wood to the frame or door?

These are the perfect doors I've been after but I don't want to go all the way to collect them if there's no way of making them fit.

I'm a diy newbie really and this is our first house although my dad has offered to help.

Any advice you could give would be really appreciated!!

Thanks

Architectural Decor
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Fitting Doors That Aren't Wide Enough for Frame

Post by Architectural Decor » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Hi,
I've done it once on a big door on a commercial project, to get it looking right its a right pain. You can do it by simply extending out the inside of the frame and the slam/stop batton but it doesn't look right the frame looks too thick and oddly out of proportion. You can also make the door larger by doing the same thing but again it looks out of proportion and you'll always see the line. If the architrave round the door is thick enough you can remove it all and cut it down but its a huge job one door let alone all of them.
Paul

Sakura_Meg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sakura_Meg » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi Paul,

Really appreciate the response!! Ended up buying the doors as they're good solid 30's ones. Not attempted fitting them yet though so thanks for the tips :)

Architectural Decor
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Architectural Decor » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:24 am

Ah excellent good on you, those 30s doors you've got are far superior to any of the modern rubbish you can buy these days, they'll be old growth pine. I'm in Architectural Reclamation so I'm used to making old stuff work if you need any help shout me.

Paul

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:49 pm