Fitting full length end panel to kitchen units where there's a worktop overhang
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mech_man
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fitting full length end panel to kitchen units where there's a worktop overhang

by mech_man » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:42 pm

Hello,

I am looking to fit a full length end-panel to my existing kitchen units in order to add a pantry/larder unit. The existing laminated worktop and the upstand overhang the base unit by around 10mm (see photos) which would prevent the end-panel to sit flush against the side of the base and wall units.

I was wondering what the best way is to overcome this issue?

Do I need to trim back the worktop and the upstand and if so, what is the best method to do that to get a clean cut?

I would appreciate if anyonw could throw some light on this please?

Thanks
Attachments
Upstand overhang
Upstand overhang
Worktop overhang
Worktop overhang
End panel to fit here
End panel to fit here

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fitting full length end panel to kitchen units where there's a worktop overhang

by stoneyboy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:17 pm

Hi mech_man
You’re probably better fitting a carcass side panel to both the floor and wall units to overcome this problem.
Regards S

mech_man
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Fitting full length end panel to kitchen units where there's a worktop overhang

by mech_man » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:51 am

stoneyboy wrote:Hi mech_man
You’re probably better fitting a carcass side panel to both the floor and wall units to overcome this problem.
Regards S

Hi,

But I need to fit a full length side panel so that the finished unit would look something like this.
Attachments
4.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:52 pm

Hi mech_man
Use decor panels on the end of the base and wall units to match the decor panel on the side of your larder unit.
You have a problem in that the floor units are not square with the worktop. If you try to trim the worktop you will cut off a tapered strip which will make joining awkward.
Regards S

mech_man
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mech_man » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:37 pm

stoneyboy wrote:Hi mech_man
Use decor panels on the end of the base and wall units to match the decor panel on the side of your larder unit.
You have a problem in that the floor units are not square with the worktop. If you try to trim the worktop you will cut off a tapered strip which will make joining awkward.
Regards S

Hello Stoneboy,

If I understood what you mean, By fitting a matching decor panel from the cabinet manufacturer (which is typically 18mm thick) to the sides of the base and wall units, There will actually be a gap of 8mm between the worktop and the side panel of the larder cabinet as I've shown in this sketch where I've circled in black, so I'm not sure if this would work?

Thanks
Attachments
5.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:05 pm

Hi mech_man
Your images would suggest that the end of the wall unit is directly above the end of the worktop. If you have your larder unit carcase try offering it up and see how it looks, you will still have to fill in the gap between the base unit carcase and the new larder unit. If you are going to fit a decor end to the larder unit trim a narrow strip off the back (where it is below the worktop) and use this to fill the gap.
Regards S

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:33 am