Fitting new light fitting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bwood1e
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting new light fitting

Post by bwood1e » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:22 pm

Hi, I have remover a faulty fitting in an old house, and fitted a new old. Problem is, all lights connecting on from the first light dont work anymore! The first fitting has 4 cables coming from the ceiling: 2 lots of 1.5 twin and earth ( red and black ) and 2 lots of 1.5 red in grey? The light fitting has just 3 cables, blue brown and earth>
Any ideas??

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:01 pm

See our projects section- Replacing a light fitting and Lights and Switches

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:47 pm

Since you have four not the three cables which would normally go to a ceiling rose the projects page will not help too much.
I will guess that the twin and earth with red and black in it will be feed in and feed to next lamp. And if I understand correct you also have two twin and earths with two red cables one would be switch but I can't understand why you should have two of that type?
As a result all I can do is explain how it normally works and see if it all fits with what you have. A cable twin and earth feeds power unswitched to the ceiling rose. Line will go to center set of three blocks of terminals and from there it will go to next lamp and to the switch but not to the lamp at that fitting. Neutral will go to the outer terminal block with three connections and go to next fitting and to lamp at that fitting. The other double holed connector block will have the return from switch and the line (brown) wire to that fittings lamp.
The problems are
1) The lives sorry should call them line do not go to the lamp at that fitting.
2) There may be a black wire which should have a red sleeve which is return from switch and goes to lamp at that fitting and not with other neutral wires. If wired correct using twin and earth with two reds this may be a red wire.
How does this seem to match what you have?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:13 pm