Fitting Rail and Clamp-Less Glass Balustrade - Help Needed
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jmgrice
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting Rail and Clamp-Less Glass Balustrade - Help Needed

Post by Jmgrice » Wed May 01, 2019 10:56 am

I have a rail and clamp-less glass balustrade. I'm currently waiting for the glass to arrive. But wanted to fit the channel in prep for when it gets here so I don't to leave the glass hanging around.

I've removed my old spindles etc. But the wood it was fixed to is only about an inch square.....

I'm worried about its ability to hold the heavier balustrade weight.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have uploaded pictures of where I want it to sit and the current situ.

It appears to have lengths coming up from downstairs ceiling. And pieces cut/fixed in between them. So wondered how I go about adding stronger base. As current are held to the same thickness coming upstairs. I was advised to use M12 coach bolts fwiw.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sometimewoodworker
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Fitting Rail and Clamp-Less Glass Balustrade - Help Needed

Post by Sometimewoodworker » Wed May 01, 2019 10:57 pm

I don't understand the question from the information given and the pictures.

It is very probable that you can do what you want to do but without a clearer understanding of what that is I can't give advice.

You obviously know the situation but need to explain in more detail with overview pictures.

Jmgrice
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Jmgrice » Thu May 02, 2019 7:40 am

Thanks for the reply.

The first picture is where I want to fit the channel. Just where it is on the picture.

The channel has been pre drilled for M12 bolts. When I put the channel in that position, it sits on top of the thinner piece of wood on the left of the second picture. So my worry is that if I drill through that thinner wood to secure my base channel, it might be too much weight by the time I've added my glass as its going to want to be solid/secure by just being anchored to that wood.

Sorry if it's unclear

Sometimewoodworker
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Sometimewoodworker » Fri May 03, 2019 8:09 am

Jmgrice wrote:Thanks for the reply.

The first picture is where I want to fit the channel. Just where it is on the picture.

I assume that the grey is the channel you are talking about.

Jmgrice wrote:The channel has been pre drilled for M12 bolts. [/quote

Got that
Jmgrice wrote:When I put the channel in that position, it sits on top of the thinner piece of wood on the left of the second picture. So my worry is that if I drill through that thinner wood to secure my base channel, it might be too much weight by the time I've added my glass as its going to want to be solid/secure by just being anchored to that wood.

Sorry if it's unclear

That picture is completely unclear as to where it is and what the structure is, and what orientation it is, vertical or horizontal, apart from the light pine being the battening for the plasterboard

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:46 am