fixing a felt roof over a porch
Information, help and advice on maintaining, installing and repairing a flat roof. Post your questions and view answers here

jonboy1
Labourer
Labourer

fixing a felt roof over a porch

by jonboy1 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi,
I've got a small open porch (approx 5ft x 3ft) with a flat roof that's leaking. It's a 1960s house and looking at my neighbours porch I'd guess that originally it was a flat concrete porch roof that has since been built up and clad with upvc (so it is now approx 10" deep/high) and a flat felt roof. A while back we had some strong winds and I fould some roofing felt on the drive but I couldn't work out where it came from. Then the porch light blew (it is fixed to the underside of the roof of the porch) and discovered the glass bowl was full of water. After isolating it i cleaned it all out and hey presto found where the roofing felt had come from. I reckon my window cleaner has stood on it at some point between the winds and the light blowing as there is a big (foor size) hole in the wood under where the felt would be so water is obviously getting in, under the concrete and pooling on top of the upvc underneath and dripping into the light fitting. Does all that make sense? :-)
So, without taking it all apart, am i correct in assuming there will be some wood bearers ontop of the concrete with planks across this topped with felt and the upvc fixed to the wood bearers? If so, should it just be a case of replacing all the wood and refelting? (i guess the bearers will be getting rotten and need replacing)
Any help gratefully appreciated.

It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:52 pm