Fixing a pull up bar to a wall With Woodchip Wallpaper in Reneted Appartment
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
treesaregood
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing a pull up bar to a wall With Woodchip Wallpaper in Reneted Appartment

by treesaregood » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:36 pm

Please excuse my ignorance when it comes to DIY stuff hence why I'm posting on here. I'm trying to fix up a pull up bar to the wall in my rented flat to hang a heavy punch bag off and do pull-ups on. I don't know if it's possible because all the walls have woodchip wallpaper. Its the wall between my house and the next flat and i know it is bricks and mortar because i’ve looked in the attic at the same wall - The wall attaches to the neighbours and is a supporting wall.

I want to put something like this pull up bar below up. Anyone know if it will damage the woodchip wallpaper much or whether this woodchip wallpaper will affect how sturdy the pull up bar could be. BTW I know nothing about woodchip wallpaper my friend just told me that’s what it probably was.

Is there likely to be plastering behind the woodchip wallpaper and would this matter? surely fixing a pullup bar that takes a lot of leveraged weight would crush the plastering but again i know nothing about it, Any thoughts on how i can proceed to make sure it's safe to put up or alternative ideas would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Here is the pull up ar link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sportstech-KS3 ... pons&psc=1

thedoctor

Re: Fixing a pull up bar to a wall With Woodchip Wallpaper in Reneted Appartment

by thedoctor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:12 am

Hi

In order to fix something such as this item in place it's going to take some substantial fixings and also really need to be secured to a solid masonry wall.

As pull up bars etc have to cope with a great deal of downward pulling force they need to be secured using solid fixings as every time you do a pull up or hit the punch bag, the anchors/fixings used will be subjected to a great deal of stress and will quickly loosen if they are not completely solid.

Additionally, if the surface you're fixing into is not itself solid, any fixings will work loose over time due to the fact that the mortar surrounding them will crumble again due to the stresses applied

So, with the above in mind you will first need to ensure that the surface you want to fix to is solid and not in any way crumbling or structurally insufficient and then secondly use fixings that will cope with the weight and the stress.

In terms of options, you really have 2:

- Use suitable concrete screws, resin fixings etc to fix directly into the wall, ensuring that each fixing is fixed as close to the centre of each brick/block as possible as this will minimise the chances of it ripping out. Fix in as many locations as possible across the pulp bar so that the load is spread as much as possible.
- The second option which is probably the best is to fix some substantial timbers (min 4x2, preferably 6x2 or larger) vertically from floor to ceiling, which are in turn fixed along their length to the wall with a fixing at least every 12 inches (use sleeve anchors) and then before fixing in place, bolt the pull up bar to the timbers using suitable sized carriage bolts, bolted through from the rear, again in as many locations as are provided

If you are indeed dealing with a brick surface, the second option above is really the one to go for as bricks themselves are not well suited to tension or pulling force and are more than likely to blow out

One further thing to think about is the fact that you will be drilling quite a few holes in etc wall, so check with your landlord to make sure they are ok with this

Hope this helps

treesaregood
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Fixing a pull up bar to a wall With Woodchip Wallpaper in Reneted Appartment

by treesaregood » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:14 pm

Thanks so much for the detailed response. That really has helped. I'll have to look into everything you said in more detail but looking much more of a mission than I'd hoped. I might looking into a ceiling mounted bar as i live in an attic apartment and have a small attic. Might be easier.

S

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi

No worries at all, glad it helped

Unfortunately these things do tend to turn into a bit of a mission

Kind Regards

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:49 pm