Fixing a tumbler dryer vent under fitted kitchen unit
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sparkletastic
Labourer
Labourer

by sparkletastic » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:47 pm

Hi, we have recently had an (expensive) new kitchen fitted including fitting our tumbler dryer and its vent underneath kitchen units with wooden worktops on top. First problem - fitter did not oil underneath wooden tops so they have buckled, partly due to v bad problem with condensation we seem to be having since work done. Also, we have found the flimsy plastic flexible vent has rusted and holes have appeared, which has exacerbated condensation and caused wet floorboards. Is there a better way to fit a vent to an outside wall than a flimsy plastic vent? Is there something more robust which we could leave in place and not worry about?

Thanks!

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:15 am

The new breed of tumble dryers use heat pumps and condense the moisture and do not require any vents. There seems to be debate about efficacy as they don't expel air already heated or rely on the input air being dry in first place. The pipes are available in plastic and aluminum but it is the drawing out of the tumble drier for service that causes a problem they need to flex. I have to remove flaps and stick my hand through hole outside and guide pipe so its not kinked while someone else slowly and carefully pushes it into hole otherwise instead of reducing length it gets all folded up on its self. I very carefully positioned hole in wall to match machine then it broke and new one completely different.

sparkletastic
Labourer
Labourer

by sparkletastic » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:18 pm

Thanks for reply. Yes, I bought a condensing tumble dryer before this one and sent it back as it caused so much condensation in my old bathroom, though the retailers said it shouldn't have done. But other people don't seem to have the same problems. If I were sure they were effective I would consider buying one again.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:39 pm

we have a condensing tumble dryer cant wait for it to break si can replace with tradtional type i think they are rubbish
i vant see why if the vent pipe is connected proparly it would cause problems

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:02 pm