Fixing Bath Spout
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
eastdll
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fixing Bath Spout

by eastdll » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:56 pm

What is the best way to fix a bath spout to what will be a tiled bathroom wall?

The bath spout comes in two bits: the spout with a 1/2" thread connection (but a flat machined on to the thread - makes sealing tricky!); and a plain chrome plate with hole that fits over the bath spout thread.

So plate must go over thread, then assembly is fixed to the connection and fixed to the wall. But how do I make it strong enough?

I haven't made up any pipework yet. Pipes will be behind cement board that are then tiled. I will cut a hole in the tile for fitting the spout.

Endplate elbow has been suggested, but the flat on the spout thread looks like an obvious leak path. Just add plenty sealant? A flexible tab connector seals nicely with its rubber seal, but leaves me with a fixing issue. Will the spout be suitably supported?

The bath spout is 160 mm Metro from Bathstore.

Any help would be great!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:22 pm

You should use a wallplate elbow like this one

http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... l&ts=05125

and make sure that is firmly fixed.

If the elbow is firmly fixed you won't need any other support to "make it strong enough". The tricky bit is getting the elbow in the correct location so that when its all tiled the spout is also in the right place. I can assure you that comes with practice.

Tile around the female - don't worry about sealing it in.

Use ptfe tape or jointing paste on the threads only of the ½" male on your spout. Don't worry about the "plate" its irrelevant to getting a seal and dertainly do not throw silicone around it - you'll just end up with a horrid mess. You may have to adjust the amount of tape / paste to ensure that the joint is watertight but also that the spout is nice and level (ie not pointing round at an angle!).

When you fix the spout you will find that the chrome plate covers up the whole in the tiles. A little - yes just a little clear silicone sealant bead on the back of the chrome plate as you tighten it all up is sufficient.

HTH

Cheers

eastdll
Apprentice
Apprentice

by eastdll » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:34 am

Thanks rosebery. Seems like a fine plan. I shall try that.

intraclast
Labourer
Labourer

by intraclast » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:12 pm

Hi, Eastdll, How did you get on with your metro bathspout?

I have the same item to fit and am a little concerned about the flat edge on the thread. Were you able to get a water tight seal?

Thanks

eastdll
Apprentice
Apprentice

by eastdll » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:09 pm

Well I'm using plenty of PTFE tape as suggested. Also I'm using rubber shower washers as a backup. I'm using 2 or 3 so that the spout points downwards when tightened up. It's working good.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:34 am