Fixing blind rail to new loft wall...Help!
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sleepysunday
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fixing blind rail to new loft wall...Help!

by sleepysunday » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:07 pm

We have just had our loft done and i am wanting to fix a rail for our blind that is to fit over double french doors and is therefore going to be quite heavy. I am unsure what to use to drill into the wall as we have previously drilled self tapping screws for plasterboard elsewhere but they have loosened within a few weeks and fell out of the wall leaving a gaping hole. I am pretty sure there is a wooden beam behind the plasterboard but don't know if there is a gap in between.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how i can do this without ruining the wall or have the blind fall off in a few weeks??

Thank you.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:00 pm

Hi sleepysunday,
First i,d try to find out if there is a wooden beam behind the wall board. Fingers Crossed you never know.
I would mark out where you intend to put holes for brackets and eitheir using pilot drill or a screw, drill into board and see if you strike wood. If not, you had to drill a hole there anyway. So no worries!
Next step if Hollow wall use a fixing called A HOLLOW WALL ANCHOR-CW SCREW. All diy shops and builders merchant will supply them.
I have described how to install them, on a post that you have made a comment on regarding this issue. That is why i am answering your question.
First mark out where you want to put holes for brackets then using the desired drill bit for the WALL ANCHOR, drill the hole. Place Fixing in hole you made and tighten screw untill the fixing has gripped behind board. Then you can unscrew and put bracket on and tighten up screw again. Repeat as desired. I would personally, put single hole in one side, put bracket up, then do opposite side making sure rail is central and level. Then you can mark remaining holes for brackets with confidence.
Hope I did not bore you with that, Good Luck. Hope Helpful
KB
P.S. These Wall Anchors come in different duty of fixing. i.e. Light, Medium, Heavy

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:36 am