Fixing heavy mirror to hollow plasterboard wall
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
knocker117
Labourer
Labourer

Post by knocker117 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:10 pm

I have to fix a heavy wooden Antique mirror 3ft X 3.4ft to a hollow wall and would like to know what fixings would be the best with it being a fairly heavy object.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:27 am

Hi,
Best fixing for this type of job: Hollow wall anchors, come in different duty most DIY stores supply them
Regards
KB

knocker117
Labourer
Labourer

Post by knocker117 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:01 pm

Hi,

Thanks for that advise, I've just been out and brought some wall anchors but when I tried to use them they have 2 small teeth that have to be pushed into the plasterboard before you tighten the screw but I found as I tightened the screw and it got tighter as it was opening up inside the 2 teeth started to move and rip the plasterboard and then whole thing started to spin in the hole so I could no longer tighten it up.
Any advise on how to solve this.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:59 am

Hi knocker117,
Best way to install them is to make hole just big enough for plug end to pass through, then push gripping pins gently in to board. Tighten screw up so anchor expands behind wall, don't over screw when it's starts to become a hard to screw it's there. If that fails and you are having problems. I'd consider trying to fix wooden batten on wall, again with a few wall plugs an some adhesive so you can stick to wall and secure it with screwing tight, leave that to set, hook in to wood. Wood should be of a size, that mirror will hide when hooked up.
Regards
KB

cupcake
Labourer
Labourer

Post by cupcake » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:24 pm

Do you need a special device to screw the anchor into the wall or will a standard screw-driver be ok?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:53 pm