Fixing skirting to walls with rubbish bottoms
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rosypie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fixing skirting to walls with rubbish bottoms

Post by rosypie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:51 pm

I need to fit skirting board in one of my room. My problem is that the bottom 5 to 10cm of the wall is inconsistent; it's fine in places, then missing and back to bare brick in others, and remnants of some kind of hard foam elsewhere. No More Nails has been recommended but I'd need to get the walls level before I can use this and honestly not sure this is the best way to go anyway. I don't think replastering is necessary, hope not anyway...

If I get a taller type of skirting then I can attach the top of it to the existing wall (somehow - tips please! Nails?) but there'll be a variable gap between the bottom of the wall and the skirting. What's the best way to fill? Should I be fixing bits of baton to the bottoms of the wall where the plaster is missing and nailing the skirting to that and the wall, or should I use that foam stuff that expands?

What's lower than a DIY novice? That's me. Please assume for the purposes of your answer that I'm an idiot :)

Many thanks!

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:13 pm

i think that you are already thinking on the right lines:

"If I get a taller type of skirting then I can attach the top of it to the existing wall"

should be fine. i wouldn't worry too much about the varying gap behind - unless you are planning to apply some swift kicks to the skirting once fitted!

i'd fix with screws, countersunk into the skirting, rawl plug in the wall. a bead of grip fill for good measure. if your walls are totally flat and your skirting has no spring in it then grip fill alone may do, but i wound not count on it. lucky if it's the case but more often than not the odd screw or two will be needed to pin until the adhesive has set.

incidentally using the above technique you can use grip fill to pack out the larger voids if you're really concerned. - it's what it's intended for. once cured it will be solid as a rock and will take a knock or two.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:50 pm