flat roof pitch
Information, help and advice on maintaining, installing and repairing a flat roof. Post your questions and view answers here

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
countybm
Labourer
Labourer

flat roof pitch

by countybm » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:32 pm

Does anyone know what the maximum pitch for a flat roof with a fibreglass finish is. I believe the fibreglass should be laid no more than a maximum of 15 degrees is this correct.
Ian

ally paterson
Labourer
Labourer

by ally paterson » Wed May 07, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi, in reply to your question. as an experienced fibreglass laminator/ flat roofer, if applied and consolidated correctly. fibreglass can be applied to a suitable surface at any angle fron flat to a vertical 90

mez
Labourer
Labourer

fibre glass flat roof

by mez » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:41 pm

We have just had an extension built and the roof covered in fibre glass.
We have standing water at the edge where it does not run freely into gutter. Also the roofer did not fit raised edge sections to the two blank sides. Is this the correct way of fitting this type of roof.....

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:02 pm

Is it a flat roof or a pitched roof? Surely it can't be both?

If you are talking about the fall this this will only be slight so why would it matter?

Cheers

insulationgrants
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re GRP roof with ponding.

by insulationgrants » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:57 am

In answer to your question the edges should have been built up for no other reason than it stops the wind blowing water off the roof rather than working to the gutter.

With regard to water ponding unless you requested a new tapered deck or added tapered insulation to falls then ponding can occur through no fault of the contractors.

If you are working to an existing deck I suspect you have some minor deflection on the decking.

Ponding is not ideal, my advise is keep an eye on it as you may find the coating may come off. It all depends on how good the product used is and whether it can handle a bit of water.

However all being said this is difficult to rectify however I assume you have a guarantee for materials and workmanship in which case I would not worry about it unless the ponding is so deep that you feel the roof could fall in?

Former Flat Roofing Technical Advisor & Contractor.

Regards

Jim Barrie

Government Insulation Grant Advisor

Sherysin
Labourer
Labourer

re:

by Sherysin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:36 pm

If you are generally handy you should be ok, look for some websites 'shed building' garage building to give you ideas.

Aim for about 15/16" below the guttering of the higher roof to have room to cut the flashing in. You will need to remove the existing roof to give access to the wall plate at the far side of the garage. If your old outbuilding is getting 'old and past its sell by date' check that the wall will carry the weight of the new roof.
Attach a 4X 3 " wall plate to the higher wall and notch the rafters over it, ideally spacing them so they fit the dimensions of the covering you are going to use

matty69
Labourer
Labourer

pitch

by matty69 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:53 pm

just a quick question pls having to replace my parents extention flat roof due to cowboy roofer and damages coursed by this persons shady work i'm now having to replace the full roof and i'got all my materials needed and tools so on but i need to know the angle degrees for this so the run of wont over flow the gutter and wont create pooling on roof pls help :?

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:11 pm