Flickering lightbulb
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
noj
Labourer
Labourer

Flickering lightbulb

Post by noj » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:03 pm

I have recently had the house lighting circuit re-wired and after fitting a wall light and switching it on, the bulb flickers. It is switched on/off by a dimmer and a conventional switch. I have double checked the wiring and swapped the bulb. Whats at fault?

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:16 am

I will guess the dimmer does not match bulb i.e. a dimmer designed for use with a inverter for 12 volt lighting used with normal bulbs. Although I have had some cheap dimmers do this even when they are correct type. Most bulbs are coiled coil design and have some inductance and capacitance and are not just plain resistive and sometimes this can upset the dimmer and fitting another make of bulb can sometimes cure the problem.

Eric

noj
Labourer
Labourer

Flickering lightbulb

Post by noj » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:34 pm

Cheers for that E. I rang the electrician who supplied the dimmer, he suggested trying a different bulb ie better quality. What I have done however, is fitted the second of the 2 wall lights, put the bulbs in and hey presto I am now flicker free. Something to do with the demand of power thru the circuit perhaps?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:24 pm