Floating floors
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hfaint
Labourer
Labourer

Floating floors

by hfaint » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:33 am

We are going to lay laminate flooring in our new conservatory, is this ok and if so the builder has recommended a floating floor for this and he says it is warmer than concrete anyway is this true will we benefit in the winter. Also he has ommitted wall insulation saying this is not beneficial and it needs to breath can anyone advise please.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:52 am

Floatinmg laminate is ideal for conservatories. We cannot really comment on the insulation as we are not sure what you mean. We have certainly never heard of an insulation which stops a wall breathing and insulation is usually placed in a cavity which, if specified, should never be omitted as it forms part of the total insulative value of the property. Please explain fully what has been omitted and where the instruction to include it came from in the first place. If its difficult to explain in writing, please go to our project on repairing structural timber and contact the company in there called Proprerty Repair Systems. If you tell them Diydoctor sent you they will give you free, no obligation advice. Please let us know how you get on as we are totally against bad building practice and if this is what is happening on your job we would like to know. We can be reached via the contact email address on the website.

hfaint
Labourer
Labourer

Wall insulation and floating floor

by hfaint » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:34 am

Thankyou for your reply.
I will just try and explain better.
We are having a reputable company to construct our conservatory but the building side, that is foundations and walls etc are done through another company that they use all the time (they do not work for the conservatory company)..The builder say that a floating floor is warmer than concrete and as we are having this built with all year usage in mind we need advise to this effect. As for the insulation in the walls, the conservatory company said they would be insulated but the builder said this is not neccessary as all heat goes out of the roof and the wall needs to breath, as the roof is glass and like the side windows has argon gas we thought this a little odd as the more insulation the b etter we thought.
I have emailed property repair systems like you said as well so hopefully between us I will get the answer I need to progress with this.
Thanking you again

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:41 am