Floorboards under stud wall in ensuite bathroom
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
m.j.p.crompton
Labourer
Labourer

Floorboards under stud wall in ensuite bathroom

by m.j.p.crompton » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:36 am

Hi all, first post here so be gentle!

Redoing our Ensuite bathroom at the moment and need to remove existing plank floorboards to lay 12mm ply floor for tiling over. The floorboards run under the stud wall into bedrooms either side - what is the general approach for removing these? Just cut flush with wall?

Stud wall appears to sit roughly over a joist at one side, but not at the other. If I cut through the boards does this leave wall unsupported?

What about on the end wall where the full length of the board is partly under the wall?

I’d naively assumed the boards would stop at wall sole plate and it would just be a matter of lifting the boards!
Thanks in advance.
Matt

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Floorboards under stud wall in ensuite bathroom

by stoneyboy » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:25 pm

Hi mjpcrompton
Probably better to leave the floorboards and fit the 12mm ply on top.
Regards S

m.j.p.crompton
Labourer
Labourer

by m.j.p.crompton » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:38 am

Hi, thanks for the response. Should probably have added that this is a DIY strip out I’m doing for a bathroom fitter to come in and do the refit. Trying to keep the costs down! The fitter has requested that floorboards are all removed to access voids for plumbing / wiring. Thinking I could save myself a few hundred quid for a lot of extra stress...

Cheers

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:54 pm

Hi mjpcrompton
Still suggest you board over the existing floorboards - leave the bathroom fitter to lift those needed and then fit them back and boards over the top. Your floorboards will probably be 18mm thick so replacing them with 12mm ply is not a good idea.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:49 pm