5 years ago in our 1930 cottage we had builders remove the fireplace in our lounge and open up the hearth to install a new log burner. This work included re-plastering the front of the chimney breast. About a year after this was done, a small patch of white "fluffy" material appeared on the paintwork just above the skirting board but after wiping it off the paint was still ok. Over the last 3-4 years this patch has gradually got bigger with the top coat of paint flaking off. We regularly hoover and wash this off but in a few weeks it comes back. Any ideas what this is and how do we treat it?
Hi phil373 The problem is damp in the chimney. When it was an open fireplace there was sufficient ventilation to dry the chimney breast. Now that you have a log burner there is no ventilation so damp coming down the chimney evaporates through the face causing the salts you see. You will have to seek ways of stopping damp getting into the chimney. Regards S
DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!