fluorescent tube pir light sensor
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Paul2463
Tradesman
Tradesman

fluorescent tube pir light sensor

by Paul2463 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:25 am

Hello
possibly a simple question from a stupid person, however I feel its better to look a simple fool to start and it be cheap, than a simple fool at the end and a massive bill for botched work - excuses over....

I have two flurescent tubes in my garage, the set up at the moment is, if I go through the up and over car door, you have to walk to the far end of the garage, in the dark, to turn on the light. If you go through the human door, the switch is there. What I would like to do its to place a PIR switch in the garage to turn the lights on automatically as soon as I walk in ( It will save the death and destruction caused by skateboards etc left lying around by the kids)

All the PIR's I have looked at say they will only work with flurescent lighting with electrical ballast, not traditional ballast. Unfiortunatley I thought ballast was something that was to do with railways, how do I find out what ballast system my lights have??

all that drivel for a quick question!!

Paul

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:42 pm

Paul2463,
Suggest you convert the single switch to 2-way switching - easier, cheaper, more reliable.
end

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:11 pm

hi Paul,
as said by stoneyboy a simple 3core& earth from original sw. to new one with a change to 2way switches would be cheap/easy, however I have as you discribe, at home in my garage using an 'occupancy switch' in place of the original wall switch.
It's very handy when carrying things to have light come on automatically, mine is happily switching 3 double fluorescent fittings, none of which are high frequency units,
regards Sparx

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:18 am