DIY Doctor

Foam Insulation Filling Gap Under Carpet?

Postby Newbienewbienoob » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:25 pm

Hi All,

I am thinking about replacing the carpet in my bedroom. I pulled up the carpet and underlay to see what state the floorboards were in, and found a section of tiles against the rear wall, alongside the floorboards.

Between the tiles and the floorboards is a section of foam insulation or something filling a gap.

I have two questions - any idea what tiles like this would have been used for in a bedroom? Perhaps it indicates a fireplace? And can anyone identify the type of insulation used? Hopefully something benign and not some horrible asbestos type?

Total novice, so feel free to add scorn to any helpful comments.


Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:12 pm


Simply Build It

Postby supersteamer » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:55 pm

Possibly looks like old thermoplastic tiles (although I'd have expected them to be bigger). These often have asbestos content so best getting a sample checked before messing with them.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:43 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics