Foul sewer smell in kitchen
Fillers, sealants and adhesives for all types of DIY work. Help, advice and information on all aspects of this subject

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Cooldude
Labourer
Labourer

Foul sewer smell in kitchen

Post by Cooldude » Wed May 09, 2007 8:39 pm

Hi all,

Please can somebody help.............we've just moved into a house, 1930's build and installed a new washing machine amongst other things into the existing opld kitchen.

Anyway, we seem to have a foul sewer smell in the kitchen, it doesn't seem to be coming from the 2 sink waste pipes, but more than likely from the washing machine, how do I get rid / cure this, or is this a plumber's job, or can I claim off Water Board insurance to fix this ?

I've tried using Domestos down all drains, but the smell still exists, it's embarassing when people come round and the kids are now complaining !!!!

Would really appreciate someone's advise.

Thanks,

bargee5
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bargee5 » Thu May 10, 2007 6:25 pm

Hi
the problem could be that the washing machine is not clearing all the water and it's going sour.
If you can hear the pump clearing the water it could be a sock in it ours was very easy to clear and that solved the smell problem

Birdhead
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Birdhead » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:14 pm

considering it is an old house are the drains curved like a J] in middle which is used to trap odors from comming up?

dajh
Labourer
Labourer

Post by dajh » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:29 am

I came across this very problem the other day......the washing machine waste hose had been directly connected to the kitchen waste pipe under the sink thereby by-passing the kitchen sink U-trap!!!!! As a result the sewer smells were passing directly up the mashing macine waste hose and into the kitchen through the machine.......a simple fix by installing a dedicated U-trap for the washing macine :lol: Hope this helps... Chiltern Handiman Services

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:37 am