Framing a wall inside a steel work recess
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dodger2303
Apprentice
Apprentice

Framing a wall inside a steel work recess

by Dodger2303 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:30 pm

Hey all,

I am about to try and undertake my second and easily my largest stud wall project. We have a 250mm thick wall that has been knocked through years ago as steel work put in place, this has since been plastered over. We now wish to install a stud wall with a sliding door (not pocket door) within it.

My initial question is to do with the fixing the Top plate and wall studs to the steel work.

In order the plaster over the steel work the previous builders hammered tight fitting noggins to span the recess of the steels (please see attached pics). The plaster board has since been fixed to the noggins and the wall plastered.

c6eb1225-6708-41cc-a362-5e647175d191._resizejpg.jpg

For the I beam installed above I believe they have just glued thin studwork wood to the underside of the I beam and screwed the plasterboard to them.

My question is if it will be safe to screw the wall studs through the plaster and plasterboard and into these tight fitting noggins?

And for the top plate, would fixing through the top plate into the wood glued to the i beam be strong enough (along with the pressure of the vertical studs keeping it up, or should i drill up through the I beam and attach with bolts?

Sorry for the long question, I hope it makes sense.

thanks

Russ

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Framing a wall inside a steel work recess

by stoneyboy » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:18 pm

Hi dodger2303,
For the vertical boards just screw through into the noggins. Since you sliding door may be hung from a track it would be better to bolt the top plate to the steel beam.
Regards S

Dodger2303
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Framing a wall inside a steel work recess

by Dodger2303 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:06 pm

Thank you for the reply, very helpful.

Russ

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:50 am