French Drain Through Garden Back Wall Query
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
philboy01
Labourer
Labourer

French Drain Through Garden Back Wall Query

by philboy01 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:09 pm

Hi,
I live in an estate and recently we noticed that our back walls (block build) were cracked and dangerously close to falling down during high wind. This is due to settling cracks and slight subsidence. The back wall is a retaining wall as the garden is about 2 - 3 ft higher than the farmland on the other side.

We have a party wall on either side in the back garden and the last 2 meters of the walls are also cracked on both sides. We are in the process of knocking the back wall and some of the side walls that are affected by the settling cracks.

The back garden is prone to holding water in spots as the soil is terrible quality so I am thinking while I am getting the walls rebuilt I may as well put in some french drains to help alleviate the drainage problem.

The retaining wall is currently built block on flat and the wall was built up from there. The back wall has now been knocked down as far as the block on flat.

When putting in the French drains, is it ok to simply core through the retaining wall and leave it sticking out approx half an inch from the wall on the farmland side?
Will this pose any risk to the foundations of the wall?

I will be putting in a patio up against the wall sloping towards the house and between the house and the patio, I will be putting in some artificial grass.

Thanks guys,
Philip

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: French Drain Through Garden Back Wall Query

by stoneyboy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:07 pm

Hi philboy01
You should be fine with core drilling through the wall, line the hole with plastic pipe to limit erosion. Good luck with core drilling damp concrete blocks laid flat! I don’t envy you.
Regards S

philboy01
Labourer
Labourer

Re: French Drain Through Garden Back Wall Query

by philboy01 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:50 pm

Thanks for your reply

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:04 am