Ful 2 floor stud partition vertical riser - fire regulations
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

Fire barrier required in vertical 2 floor void?

Yes
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 0
greedyboyuk
Labourer
Labourer

Ful 2 floor stud partition vertical riser - fire regulations

by greedyboyuk » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi,

I hope someone can help with some advice.

Our renovation project includes adding a double storey new build to the outside of an existing wall (old outside wall so a cavity wall). Existing waste, new waste and new plumbing for first floor bathroom plus ground floor utility room directly below mean that the solution implemented was a stud partition wall that is a vertial riser full height from floor level of ground floor to ceiling level of first floor (full width of room).

The construction is fairly standard with 12.5mm plasterboard secured to timber and timber mounted to existing brick wall (former exterior of old wall).

My concern is that flooring was installed afterwards so the void spans both floor levels without any separation. Is this a fire regulation breach because any fire could be carried up the void (therefore between floors). Or are we in effect protected under regulations because the void is sandwiched between standard stud wall on one side and existing brick and block cavity wall on the other. Standard ceiling construction exists between the void and the loft space (and screed floor at base of void).

My concern is that the void in effect makes the spread of any fire within that void easier to spread to another floor level (although still within the void). I may have just answered my own question and the requirment is to simply stop the spread of fire vertically and horizontally between living spaces.

Finally the question, is a fire barrier of some form (and what?) required in effect at floor level (so approx. vertial mid-point within the void? Or is it not required because in effect it is an enclosed void so the barrier is in place (although any fire spreading vertically without detection does increase the risk of wider breakout of fire).

As is, is it not compliant with building regulations. For my own peace of mind I'd rather that there were some form of fire barrier in the void but I've only thought of it now! It can be put right but there will be some hassle as all made good and enclosed.

Sorry for a long post but couldn't think how to state the question and context in a quick way. :roll:

Thanks and regards.