Funny wiring setup
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
marktowl
Apprentice
Apprentice

Funny wiring setup

by marktowl » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:25 am

Some help please.
I have been changing face plates and found some red wires connected to L1 and black to Comm. I thought this was meant to be the other way round. Please confirm. I have changed them all around and lights work fine

My second problem is that I have a light switch which only controls the landing light but seems to have many wires going into face plate. The wires also seem to be in incorret positions but the light switch does work. I want to change the face plate and wondered which wires go where (intermediate switch is the replacement)

Current setup - 2 cables entering

(Cable 1) Blue/Yellow/Red/Earth from one supply cable - Red to COM, Blue to L1, Yellow to L2 and earth to backplate.

(Cable 2) Red/Black/Earth from second cable - Red to L1, Black to L2 and Earth to backplate

Can someone confirm these wires are in correct position. If not where should they be? I always thought red from main supply should always go to Com.

If I replace with intermediate switch L1 L2 and L3 L4.... where do each of the wires go?

Look forward to a reply

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:17 pm

Hi'
It does not matter which way round for a 1 way sw. the black should be sleeved with red as is a sw-live not a neutral!
Your landing light is a 2 way, there is another switch at the other end of the 3 core cable! The red/blk cable comes from the light in exactly the same way as a 1 way sw. (& agn the blk should be sleeved red).
To make it work as a 2 way set up the wiring is modified as you found it, all cores are supposed to be over sleeved red as all are switching live about, see Project on 'light switching' on forum.
Finally , why do you want to use an intermediate sw? what do you hope to gain? they are only used as mid way in a multi (3 or more) switching circuit such as along a passageway, they have 4 terms instead of 3 & will only confuse the issue more i think,
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 pm