Fused Light Switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
simonjon27
Labourer
Labourer

Fused Light Switch

by simonjon27 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:41 pm

I have in the veranda of my house a normal lightswitch which is fused. I have always been concerned that although the outside is covered, if some rain water came down the walls due to a leak, then I would have a problem. I have bought an external switch but I am confused as to why the original switch is fused? I want to swap it over but I am unsure how to and do I still need a fused switch? I have put socket extensions and lighting extensions so my knowledge is OK but this has got me. Please help as to how I go about changing the switch over. Thanks.

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:36 pm

It sounds like the supply to this light has been taken from the sockets, maybe because it was easier, maybe because it would give rcd protection. Nothing wrong with that as long as it has been fused down to 5A or less, hence your fused switch. Take your switch back & ask to swap it for a outdoor switched fuse spur. (i.p 65)

simonjon27
Labourer
Labourer

by simonjon27 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:57 pm

Cheers. The wiring in the house is a little strange as I have found out when replacing switches/sockets etc. I will defo take your advice and get the correct switch.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm