DIY Doctor


Postby swiftflo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:26 pm

I have been told that it is possible to just replace the wire fuses in a board with trip type. This saves replacing the complete fuse board obviously. This is of course in a domestic installation.

Is this true ?.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:23 pm


Simply Build It

Postby moggy1968 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:04 pm

you can get circuit breakers that replace fuses. safety wise there is no advantage. the only advantage is that if a fuse blows you have to replace the wire, on a trip switch you just reset the switch.
it doesn't substitute for a modern RCD equiped board as the trips are overcurrent devices to protect the installation, not you. A modern board has these (MCBs) and RCDs which will protect you.
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:32 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics