Gadget needed so much blood..........................
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
racheluk
Labourer
Labourer

Gadget needed so much blood..........................

by racheluk » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:09 am

How do you hold a screw in place drill it in without the drill slipping and drilling into your finger????? I only have 8pts of blood in my body

Is there a gadget I can buy (not a human)

Cheers
Rachel
P.S this is a serious question!!

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:49 am

good technique is the answer. here are some pointers:

i) drill a pilot hole of the appropriate size (should be a little smaller than the main body of the screw not including the thread). don't try to drive the screw straight into the wood - unless it's a drywall screw or a screw that is specifically designed to do so

ii) ensure that you have the correct size screwdriver bit for the screw.

iii) start turning with your drill/screwdriver on a low speed - most cordless drills have speed adjustment on the trigger switch. gently squeeze the trigger for slower speed. when the screw starts to bite then you can gradually increase the speed.

iv) hold the screw where it meets the screwdriver for extra support as you start turning SLOWLY.

v) use LIGHT pressure at this point. let the screw turn and bite for itself, don't try to force it into the workpiece.

overall, take your time, don't rush it and use la bit ess force and a bit more finesse. if the screw is slipping, you are using too much grunt. you may as well use a hammer as a screwdriver! good technique will come with practice.

allan the locksmith
Tradesman
Tradesman

by allan the locksmith » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:22 pm

Buy one these gadgets from screwfix, it has a sleeve that slides over the screw.Brilliant if working up a ladder or driving in slotted heads as it stops the slippage mentioned.
[url]http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=1228&id=61071&p=http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14854/Screwdriver-Bits/Bit-Holders/Standard-Starter-Driver[/url]

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:38 pm

good tip allan, gonna get one of these for myself!

racheluk
Labourer
Labourer

by racheluk » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:55 am

Hi Chris and Allen,

Great tips and everything you said is true I decided to do a breakdown on my drill skill set against your tips, my pilot holes are not the right size (I didnt think it mattered!!) I do put way to much presure on the screw however I do start the driver slow but just not for long enough, I need to focus more and not be in such a hurry you are right on all counts and comments. Think a lot of it is because I have Multiple Sclerosis I have a point to prove and that I can do anything, (about time I grew up at 49 LOL)

Allen I am going to buy everything I can find these look great gadgets and they should be advertised everywhere there must be a massive market open for this sort of thing just wish I had known what to put in the serch boxes to find it. My worst injury was when I screwed in a screw that was far to big for the 1/4" square piece of wood but hey thought I could get away with it, hence you gessed it drill slipped and went though the pad of my finger and stopped just before it came out the back of my finger nail, refused to get it treated because of my stupidity aqnd yes it got infected and no I did still not get it treated but now its healing finger just looks like patchwork and a reminded of just how stupid I am. so many thanks for your tips I will take them all on board YES I WILL!!!!!!

Cheers

Rachel who like writing a load of waffel no one needs to know x and is rubbis and DIY and Spelling

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

fixing screws without injury

by welsh brickie » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:23 pm

easiest way is to cut a strip of cardboard from a cereal packet insert the screw a quarter way through, this keeps your fingers out of the way then when your screw starts to tighten pull the cardboard off the screw and continue till its fully in.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:40 am