Gap between lintel and external brickwork above window
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
johnnyt
Labourer
Labourer

Gap between lintel & external brickwork above window ?

Post by johnnyt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:38 am

Hi, hoping someone can help me

I have double glazing windows throughout & have replastered the inside verticals of the window & the sill above the window. Howver the last window I have come to, I pulled the old blinds off, whereby a lot of crumbly plaster broke away. This exposed the underside of the lintel, going across the window on the internal brick wall (I presume) howver there is a a gap (4" wide) running across from left to right between the external wall & the lintel ? very odd. Im happy to wet plaster (bonding plaster) & skim over the linel to bring into line with the top angle bead, BUT I do not know how to fill this gap. It seems there were some kind of cement supports that have broken away. I was thinking of fixing wood across (fence post size) and screwing it into the lintel & outside wall then wet & skim over but Im not sure ? any ideas.

Appreciate any replies

John [/img]

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:19 pm

johnnyt,
Sounds like you have exposed the cavity although 4" is rather wide for a cavity. Suggest you try form a cavity tray using a length of dpc, hold this in place with some insulation, tack a piece of expandmesh over the reveal and gap and use this as a base for re-plastering.
end

steve bain
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by steve bain » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:45 pm

think this is going to need a photo! i can't picture it mself. the gap is between the internal wall and internal lintel, or the iternal and external lintel?or are you looking up into the cavity?

it sounds like it is going to involve expanding foam though :twisted:

johnnyt
Labourer
Labourer

Gap between lintel and external brickwork above window

Post by johnnyt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:30 am

Hi

Thanks for your replies "stoney boy" & "Steve Bain"

I have included a crude diagram if this helps (as if looking up, from the inside), but get the jist of what you are saying. Again the gap is about 3-4" wide, and when I look up I can see the inside of the external brickwork. The lintel doesnt cross the gap far enough. Not sure how to cover, so i can wet & skim plaster over. I will need to drill 2/3 holes for vertical blinds but thats it really Hope the diagram loads up ok.

Google "i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz308/johnnytaz/Window.jpg"

Johnnyt[/img]

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:15 pm