Garage door catching on frame
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
apacheDIYman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Garage door catching on frame

Post by apacheDIYman » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:48 pm

I have a Henderson Premier garage door which is catching on the bottom right frame when it closes as shown in the photo.

I noticed the cable on that side is much tighter than on the other side. It only has one nut on the overhead spring that can be tightened on the left and I am aware it is dangerous to do any work to it without properly securing it.

However is there a way to change the tension on the cable just one one side rather than changing the tension on the spring itself?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Garage door catching on frame

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:51 pm

Hi apachediyman
Rather than cable tension it is more likely that the main hinges brackets have worked loose and dropped.
Regards S

apacheDIYman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by apacheDIYman » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:56 pm

Thanks stoneyboy, how would I tighten them? They are hooked to the middle of the garage door but look fairly tight on and the cable is wrapped around them

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:12 pm

Hi apachediyman
There are pivot plates part way up the garage door frame (I’m assuming yours is an up and over model).
The screws/bolts on the pivot plates can work loose allowing the door to drop - check they are tight.
Regards S

apacheDIYman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by apacheDIYman » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:18 pm

Its a canopy door, which is kind of up and over but not the specific up and over type. I have attached two images of the cone at the top and the bracket the cable connects.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

apacheDIYman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by apacheDIYman » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:19 pm

Sorry got the images the wrong way around

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:37 am

Hi apachediyman
Thanks for the photos. They show that the cable is no longer in the grooves - they are supposed to be nicely following the cone taper.
You could try refitting the cable which is best done with the door on the up position. Use mole grips to take up the spring tension and relocate the cable into the grooves. Copy the opposite end so you know where it goes.
You may have to fit new cones and cables if either are damaged.
If you do get it sorted do not open the door quickly - with wear the cable mechanism cannot cope.
Regards S

apacheDIYman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by apacheDIYman » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:06 pm

The photo was just taken off google images to show a like for like one, sorry!

The cable itself on my garage is wrapped on the cone without any issue. Just wondering if there is a way to tighten one side of the cable without tightening the spring itself

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:26 pm

Hi apachediyman.
No the spindle with the cones on the ends is a continuous shaft. Perhaps the slack end has moved down the turns on the spindle.
Regards S

apacheDIYman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by apacheDIYman » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:51 pm

thanks will check that out

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:02 am