Garage Loft Space - Boarding for Storage
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Pablomundo
Labourer
Labourer

Garage Loft Space - Boarding for Storage

by Pablomundo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:56 pm

Hi folks,

First time user of these forums, please be gentle :) haha!

So, we have an attached double garage with a pitched roof. Property built circa 1985.
The garage is approx 40sqm in size (5.2 wide x 7.7m long) although 1 rear corner is actually consumed by our kitchen.

The roof is built with M75 SC5 trusses with an internal W shape (I’ll try and upload associated images and diagrams asap). These are approx 32mm x 100mm in size.

There are 10 trusses in total, running from the front of the garage to the rear, so are 7.7m long (joined around 5m point).

I have been using the loft space for light storage, not completely boarded by any means. All seems fine.

However, I now want to fully board the area, install a loft hatch, and be able to walk on the above area and use for storage - again most of it will be light and distributed, or at least around the outside edges.
I will then plasterboard the garage ceiling, and insulate between the plasterboard and the flooring of storage area.

This will not be a habitable area, just storage. I use the double garage to park 2 cars in, and the rear section is a workshop.

Anyway, cutting to the chase, I don’t believe the c16 trusses are designed to take weight or boarding, and so I need a solution. I’ve had a few builders around, both coming up with different solutions.

My preferred solution would be to “sister” the existing trusses with 5x2 joists, and then fully board on top which I understand will also add some strength laterally.

But I’m not a structural engineer (and neither are the builders, to be fair) - so I was reaching out to you to see what you’d recommend.

I’ll get the diagrams and stuff uploaded now - and a picture should speak 1000 words!
Thanks in advance!
Paul

Pablomundo
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Garage Loft Space - Boarding for Storage

by Pablomundo » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:25 pm

Here are diagrams and images!

I’ve also spoken briefly to a structural engineer on the phone who, based on details provided, says boarding and plasterboarding will be fine as-is if only light storage?
I’m not one to argue, but also don’t feel comfortable with that..?
Attachments
D32BBB37-07FE-4DE0-8E95-6CC062168F0D.jpeg
9C409D47-BE7F-4345-A71B-A29D5E5BC8D5.jpeg
3C4261A0-080E-49CF-A230-9E6B48CB8942.jpeg

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:35 pm