DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Garden Extension Cable Advice to Relocate Garden Lights

Postby melvinmaggott » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi. I want to relocate some garden lights. Power currently comes from a TDC Power Products transformer DB-06-12W. Output details of this transformer are:
output voltage:12vac, output current: 0.50amp, output watts 6va

My problem is the current cable from the transformer to the lights is too short. I need to replace it with something around 5-6 metres in length. I've been looking around on internet and have found outdoor cable,but there are all different types of connectors - the current one I have is 2 round pins but I'm not sure if there's more than 1 type of '2 pin' connector. I've read about Type A, Type U etc. Any ideas what one I'd need?

Thanks in advance.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:15 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:13 am

I would try Maplin they may have the plugs you want. Personally I would be tempted to cut cable and using heat shrink on joints extend it. However in theroy since AC the output could be high frequency and because of EMC rules often there is a maximum length one is allowed to use.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2583
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Llanfair Caereinion, Mid Wales.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics