Gas and water mains running through foundations
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
buzz70
Labourer
Labourer

Gas and water mains running through foundations

Post by buzz70 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:58 pm

Hi everyone , just needed some advice, first time on this forum so hoping you can help. Im currently having a 2 storey extension built at the rear of my terraced house. When the footings were dug out the builders found that the existing gas and water mains would run through the new walls of the extension about 10 inches above the new concrete foundation. They said they weren't sure whether the gas would need to be moved because gas mains are not allowed to run under your house. Is this right or can they be left in place and some other method used. and would this also apply to the the water main.

Thanks in advance
Buzz

advocat
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by advocat » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:36 pm

Hi there i was just on this site browsing when i came across your query. I work in the utilities industry so i can offer you some advice. I'm afraid its not good news, both the gas and water mains will have to be diverted around the perimeter of your extension and this can be a costly bit of work although it has to be done for obvious safety reasons. It can also take some time for the relevant utility company to actually come and do the work, regulatory bulls**it!!

Have you seen the pipes yourself, any photos?
If you want to give me your address i can look at the plans for your area and let you know how much work would be involved.

Hope this helps.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:18 am