Gas fittings - mix of metaks and plastic
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

Mike Chapman
Labourer
Labourer

Gas fittings - mix of metaks and plastic

by Mike Chapman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:43 pm

I really would like to know from someone out there whether I have a real regulatory issue here as I find the literature pretty impenetrable for the layman. I am concerned that my house insurance might be undermined and I am concerned about real problems in the case of a house fire!

The problem is:

I have plastic gas pipes laid under the house to supply a gas fire. These are sheathed in larger plastic pipes - which seems to be OK from a reg. point of view. These plastic pipes (painted to disguise them, I think) are connected by a steel connector (which is busily rusting) attached to the outside wall of the house at a metre above ground level to narrower copper gas pipes leading to the meter and the street supply.

I am being told that all of this is a no-no and that I must have the supply to the gas fire (on the opposite side of the house to the meter) re-piped in copper passed through the roofspace and the under-house pipes disconnected. Is this right? Have I any come back on anyone.....the house was DIY built in the 90's. My surveyor who OK'd the house was silent on this....how could this be OK in the 90's and not now....um, suggestions please!!